Charles-Dominique EISEN (Valenciennes 1720-Brussels 1778)
and Jean-Charles DELAFOSSE (Paris 1734-1791)
Suite of five preparatory watercolors for the "Public Festivities given by the city of Paris on the occasion of the Wedding of Monseigneur the Dauphin, February 23 and 26, MDCCXLV", watercolor gouache and black ink. Framed.
- The title page inscribed lower left "Dessiné par les soins de François Blondel, Architecte du Roy", 53.8 x 35 cm (on view), foxing and sunstaining.
- Exterior elevation of one of the two rooms of the Place de Louis le Grand" and "Interior section of the Rooms", 45.7 x 78.5 cm (on view), stains and sun exposure.
- "Perspective view of the Carousel room, built for the Wedding of Monseigneur le Dauphin. ", 47.6 x 81 cm, insolation, stains, traces of humidity, restoration and gaps in the border.
- Perspective view of the ballroom, built in the courtyard of the Hôtel de Ville", 50.5 x 78.2 cm, sun exposure, traces of humidity, small gaps at the edges and stains.
- "Elevation and decoration of the great ballroom", "Side of the orchestra", "Side of the great balcony", 49 x 67 cm (on view), sunstains and small gaps.
The marriage of the Dauphin, the eldest son of Louis XV, to the Infanta Maria Theresa of Spain aimed at reconciling the two kingdoms after the failed engagement of the king and Maria Anne Victory of Spain. It took place in Versailles on 23 February 1745. The city of Paris organized several parties to celebrate this new union. The first one took place on February 23, 1745 and for this occasion, the Place Louis le Grand, the Place du Carrousel, the Place de l'Estrapade and the Porte Saint Antoine were decorated and transformed into mythological residences. Thus, a Summer Palace was erected on the Place du Carrousel. On February 26, a masked ball was organized in the apartments of the Hôtel de Ville. The courtyard became a large ballroom, decorated with forty-five crystal chandeliers and magnificent garlands of flowers. Jean-François Blondel (1705-1774) was a French architect who was one of the greatest theoreticians of classical architecture. He was appointed architect to the king under Louis XV. He began by training with his uncle, then followed the lessons of the ornemanist Oppenord. The author of the Cours d'architecture also tried his hand at engraving and drawing. The set presented here is a beautiful testimony of this.